Bipolar Disorder, formerly known and sometimes still referred to as Manic Depression, is a brain disorder that causes unusual shifts, spikes, and drops in mood, energy, activity levels, and the ability to carry out daily tasks.
People with Bipolar Disorder experience unusually intense emotional states that occur in distinct periods called “mood episodes.” Each mood episode represents a drastic change from a person’s usual mood and behavior. An overly joyful or excited state is called a manic episode and an extremely sad or hopeless state is called a depressive episode. Sometimes, a mood episode includes symptoms of both mania and depression. This is called a mixed state.
QSPECT IMAGING FOR BIPOLAR DISORDER CAN HELP:
- Identify key blood flow patterns in the brain which can help accurately diagnose Bipolar Disorder
- Provide an accurate diagnosis which can serve as a vital step toward more effective treatment and can significantly improve patient behavior
- Identify or rule out a patient being misdiagnosed as simply having depression or anxiety
Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder
Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder may include any number of the following:
- Explosiveness and/or irritability
- Rapid, erratic talking
- Inability to concentrate
- Marked changes in energy and activity levels
- Doing several tasks at once, going “nonstop,” restlessness, or the opposite, an inability to do anything
- Extreme changes in sleep (either oversleeping or sleeplessness)
- Alcohol and/or drug abuse
- Behavioral and cognitive changes such as grandiose and/or delusional thinking, particularly during a manic episode, or the opposite, such as when someone seems to fall off the grid and become unreachable for a period of time
- Extreme feelings of powerfulness or just the opposite, powerlessness
- Exhibiting impulsive and/or poor judgement
- Marked increase or decrease in sex drive
Bipolar Disorder is a complex condition that is often misdiagnosed as simply Depression or Anxiety. Without proper diagnosis, patients with this disorder may endure ineffective treatments, which can result in undue distress and suffering for themselves and their loved ones. CereScan’s functional brain imaging can help identify Bipolar Disorder and dramatically improve treatment paths.